Today I’m chatting with Vix Meldrew, who started blogging under a pen name and quit her teaching job last year to take it full time.
Today I’m chatting with Vix Meldrew, who started blogging under a pen name and quit her teaching job last year to take it full time. She is really open about what it takes to make that transition, and we chatted quite a bit about how much honesty there is surrounding money and privilege in the blogging industry. We also talk about building a business around your personality, trying lots of new things, finding your voice and doing it your way. Enjoy!
I didn’t quit teaching to go into another job where there were rules and regimented things and expectations and pressures. I quit to build something of my own and to make it of my own and to enjoy it. And if I’m not enjoying it I’m just not going to do it.
– Vix Meldrew
Some of the things we talked about:
- How she got into blogging, took it full time in 2018 and quit teaching
- Making the decision to leave a job she enjoyed, and the financial uncertainty of taking that leap
- Why she started under a pen name and what happened when people in her real life figured it out
- Some really honest chat about how much money bloggers are seen to be making vs reallymake, and the privilege that underlies a lot of how we talk about it
- Dealing with criticism for being outspoken about the industry
- Balancing & experimenting with blogging, podcasting, a weekly in depth newsletter, Youtube & more
- How Vix found her distinct writing voice, and how what she talks about changes over time
- Sharing openly about a wide range of topics, and where she chooses to draw the line
- Her best advice for anyone wishing to build a brand or blog around their personality
Links from this episode:
In any kind of creative business, the minute you pigeonhole yourself and the minute you say “I’m only ever going to do this” you’re kind of stifling yourself
– Vix Meldrew
How to Subscribe & Review
Reviews and ratings are a really helpful way to get the podcast in front of more people, so I’d be very grateful if you could click here to subscribe, or to leave a review and/ or rating on iTunes. If you don’t use Apple, then there are alternative download links below.
If you enjoyed the podcast and want to share on social media – thank you! Can you use the hashtag #creativelyhuman so that we can continue the conversation on social media, and so that I can find you? I’d love to see what resonated with you after each episode!
Ask Me Anything!
I’m also planning to make Q&A episodes a semi-regular part of the show, so if you have any questions feel free to send them over to me on Instagram or click here to send me an email.
Where to Find the Podcast…
- Apple Podcasts
- And other players!
Thanks so much for listening!
2 thoughts on “Episode #21: Vix Meldrew on Blogging with Personality, Honest Money Chat & Quitting Her Day Job”
I found the part of this conversation where you talked about blogger income both useful and thought-provoking. I certainly see other online business owners (not just those who identify as bloggers) attempting to give the impression that following their methods will result in easy, fast revenue. I’m an author and last year I left my job to write full time, but I’m certainly not making any claims about supporting myself! I’m lucky to have my husband’s backing for this lifestyle and hope I’d never give another writer the impression they can pay (all) their bills by emulating me 🙂
Thanks Pauline! It’s SO easy online to make things seem a certain way when they aren’t at all.
Comments are closed.